MAINTENANCE -- MAJOR CHANGES STARTING DECEMBER 26th. See here
Disclaimer: This is a very large topic, and much too broad to be covered on a single support page. There are many other sites (yes, entire sites) which cover the topic in more detail. We'll link so some of them below. This page is meant to be just the essentials.
Logging in for the first time
To login to Beocat, you first need an "SSH Client". SSH (short for "secure shell") is a protocol that allows secure communication between two computers. We recommend the following.
- PuTTY is by far the most common SSH client, both for Beocat and in the world.
- MobaXterm is a fairly new client with some nice features, such as being able to SCP/SFTP (see below), and running X (which isn't terribly useful on Beocat, but might be if you connect to other Linux hosts).
- Cygwin is for those that would rather be running Linux but are stuck on Windows. It's purely a text interface.
- OS-X has SSH a built-in application called "Terminal". It's not great, but it will work for most Beocat users.
- iTerm2 is the terminal application we prefer.
- There are many SSH clients for many different platforms available. While we don't have experience with many of these, any should be sufficient for access to Beocat.